In honor of those that live with diabetes and work in companies and organizations that work tirelessly to support, educate and provide the necessary treatments for diabetes, I am writing this month about nothing but diabetes–even a step further-get rid of and stop diabetes. This is after all National Diabetes Awareness Month.
Having lived a somewhat normal life with just a few bumps in the roadway with diabetes, I write from the heart. I have been on insulin for close to 41 years now. Those that do know me have known me to be in some predicaments before. Sometimes too much of a pickle. Also, many know me from the Snowpocalypse 2014 and I became known as the face of this storm as “the guy” from Snowmaggedon. So much so I wrote my book chronicling how God has blessed me and my family, not only from the events of the snow/ice storm of 2014, but we had already been blessed and fortunate. The Night That Changed Our Lives describe many episodes of my diabetes life that culminated in the nearly tragic night that winter.
Also, I have volunteered many hours and days to benefit my own cause. I have done this with both the JDRF (Juvenile Research Foundation) and the American Diabetes Association (ADA). I actually went to work with the ADA for several years before being called back into the sales world. One that I had been in before. Ironically, I went to work with a national diabetes care company–a leader, known worldwide in the pharmaceutical world. So, I was able to come full circle with volunteering then working for an industry leader.
This following is a part of the mission and goals of one organization: JDRF
Our plan will create a future where:
Your blood glucose levels can be controlled automatically
You can sleep, eat, exercise, and live as if T1D is not in your life
T1D can be cured and is no longer present in your body
T1D can be prevented and never threaten anyone again
Every dollar will help bring us closer to a world without T1D.
Call: 800-533-CURE (2873) Email: email@example.com
About JDRF Diabetes Foundation
JDRF is the leading diabetes foundation funding T1D research. JDRF’s goal is to progressively remove the impact of T1D from people’s lives until we achieve a world without T1D. JDRF collaborates with a wide spectrum of partners and is the only organization with the scientific resources, regulatory influence, and a working plan to better treat, prevent, and eventually cure T1D.
JDRF is currently sponsoring $530 million in scientific research in 17 countries. In 2012 alone, JDRF provided more than $110 million to T1D research.
Learn more at JDRF.org.
I have a sense of calling. I, without a doubt, know that God puts us in places for a reason. I have never blamed God for my disease state but rather thank Him for allowing me to live this happy, normal life. You see, diabetes has been known as the disease that affects one from head to toe. Blindness, heart and kidney issues, amputations of limbs and digits. So there is a lot to be fearful of. However, it is ultimately the individual’s decision how to handle and control the situation. I have always heard the phrase used by medical personnel when they say that diabetes is self-controlled 90% of the time and that the remaining 10% is what your diabetes care team helps you with. I truly believe that God has called me to be that diabetes ambassador-share with others what it takes to maintain a good, healthy lifestyle.
People have used many reasons for not taking good care of themselves. The diabetes supplies are rather costly and most insurance plans cover these supplies on a good scale. This has been a number 1 reason that some have said is the reason they cannot keep themselves in good, proper fit. I too know that there are many choices we make in our lives. Some are vices many should eliminate. We are talking about a cigarette habit, drinking too many adult beverages or even playing the gaming machines or lottery. It would be a good idea to take a look at your soul to see why you must partake in such. Take this out of your life and place your health in good standing.
There are lots of bad things I could be dealing with. Cancer (any type-form), MS, CP, ALS, Spina Bifida and many other forms of illnesses and uncontrollable health issues. Because diabetes can be self contained, self-monitored, it takes that personal commitment to follow a good regime and remain healthy and in good physical fit.
What choices will you make to keep yourself in proper care? The choice is yours. Use what God has given you and maintain that temple for His glory. Remember, keep yourself clean and healthy in mind and body.